Monday, May 14, 2007

Bittersweet

George has accomplished some major goals these past few days. Our pediatrician's appointment on Thursday went wonderfully. He weighed in at 9 pounds 6 ounces, which is a whole pound over his birth weight!!! YIPPEE! He is also now 22 inches long, 2 inches longer than when he was born! He is in the 95% for height and 75% for weight.

The doctor said that he is growing very well and if he is sleeping in 4-5 hour stretches to let him! No more waking him up to feed him or anything like that! WOO HOO!

Yesterday, on my 1st Mother's Day, we introduced a bottle. He took it from Petey like a champ! He didn't fuss at all and I even sat in the room with the two of them! It was SO hard for me to relinquish control like that. I was crying buckets! I think my hormones are still a little off.

We also caved in and started giving GT a pacifier. We are giving him the Soothies brand which is supposedly more like an actual nipple than any of the others. We've noticed that he has a strong sucking reflex, and since we are breastfeeding well, we can give him a pacifier. We aren't giving it to him all the time, just when we can't feed him immediately or need to keep him quiet, like at church or at the store.

But breastfeeding is still going wonderfully! I'm so lucky that this is all working out for us!

Some sad news to report in the Hendricks' house. Petey's sister was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia last Friday.

I can't wrap my brain around the fact that a family member has cancer. I'm having a hard time understanding why this had to happen to her. No one deserves to get cancer, especially my sister-in-law. It's not fair. I'm sad, angry, devastated and wanting all this to be just a bad dream.

Ugh.

Time to give George Thomas another hug.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Aimee. I can't wrap my brain around it either. It's just not fair!

I'm glad GT took a bottle!! Yea for him (and you!). Now you can have a litte Mommy time w/o worrying he's going to starve while you're away. lol! You introduced the pacifier at the perfect time. He won't get nipple confusion at all (he loves nursing too much!) and it'll be fine. Plus, it helps reduce the risk of SIDS. :-)

XOXO,
Michele

12:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home