the culprit.
herpangina. yep, that's what's been pissing off my son for a while. we are over it now, but he had a pretty bad outbreak.
one saturday (6/21) petey, gt, my in-laws and i were out all day. he missed his afternoon nap (which I promise I wouldn't do again EVER) and ended up waking up 3 times in the middle of the night. yeah, that whole "a well-rested child sleeps better at night" is the absolute truth!!!!
it took him a while to go down. he kept making noises when he breathed, like it hurt to breathe. i rocked him until he settled down and stopped grunting. then he woke up again about 2 hours later.
when I picked him up, i noticed his breath STUNK. it NEVER stinks, and i thought that was strange. i just attributed it to him breathing out of his mouth all night and it being a hot day. but it stunk really bad.
the second time i picked him up, he felt a little warm. i gave him a bottle (yep, still on the bottle) and he cooled down and fell right asleep.
the THIRD time he woke up he was SCREAMING. I've never heard him scream the way he did. I picked him up and he was burning up. immediately, I took his temperature and had a heart attack when i read...
103.3
holy freaking S*&#!!!! i woke up Petey and told him. we called the doc (at 4:30am Sunday) and she said to do the piggy-back tylenol/motrin. if he was still at 103 after giving the tylenol & motrin, to go to the emergency. we didn't have any motrin so we got in the car and went to CVS. by the time we got the motrin and came home, I could tell he was much better. so we slept (for another 2 hours).
All day sunday he still had a fever. the highest he got up to was 102. he didn't want to eat or drink anything, which is TOTALLY not like him. so we set up an appt. for the doc on Monday.
the minute i said "stinky breath" the doctor knew what it was. he had sores on the back of his mouth, which explained the not wanting to eat/drink/etc. it just hurt to do all that. he said to continue the tylenol and it should clear up in a couple of days. by Thursday he was back to his normal self and eating like a champ.
i think i need some sores in the back of my mouth so i don't want to eat for a few days. do you think i can get herpangina? yeah, i didn't think so.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home