Saturday, December 09, 2006

Just when I thought I was normal...

Sorry for the late post friends. It's been an interesting weekend.

First all, we found out we are having a BOY! George Thomas Hendricks was showing off everything but his face on Wednesday. He's going to be quite the little flasher. He wanted us to make sure we knew he is a boy. And he is not shy! Just like his daddy after many beers. Hee hee.

After the sonogramer saw me, she was a little worried about MY parts. She sent me to the regular OB/GYN who then examined me further. Doc told me that I have what is called an incompetent cervix. I just love the word incompetent. Like I'm not worried enough about being a first time mother, I'm already labeled incompetent. Sigh.

So they set me up for an appointment on Thursday with a high-risk doctor. But until then, I was to be on bedrest. Meaning no standing for long periods of time, no driving, just sitting down or laying down. I thought that was going to be easy - I was wrong. 2 hours later, I was so bored I started counting the "popcorn" on the ceiling. There is only so much TV you can watch and so many magazines you can read. UGH. It was awful.

So Friday we went and saw High Risk Doc. Had another sonogram (much better pictures) and he confirmed that I am incompetent. So he suggested that I have surgery to fix this. Until I have the surgery done, I need to be on bedrest. So bedrest on Friday too. That wasn't so bad, since Petey stayed home with me. I was still bored. I'm used to running errands and getting things done when I have a day off from work, and I was confined to my couch all day.
We are in a time crunch to get the surgery done. I can't get it after 24 weeks and I hit 21 weeks on Wednesday. I also don't want to be on bedrest for any longer than I need to be. It might kill me. The only shopping I can do is on the internet. That's not fun at all. I'm missing out on the "hustle and bustle" of Christmas.

So my regular OB/GYN set up my surgery for Sunday. Which I'm like WOO HOO, the sooner the better! But then the whole "surgery" aspect comes into play. I've never had surgery before. I've never had an IV before. I've never "been under" before. Call me lucky, but doing all this for the first time at 27 years old is just as scary as being 12. I'm freaked out to the max. Not only for my health, but the health of GT's too.

I have friends that have had this done and they both went on to have healthy, beautiful babies. But there is still many SCARY risks that are associated with the surgery. And when you are in a position to do this, the internet is the WORST place to look up information about it. Talk about adding more gray hairs to my head!

But I know that God & Petey will be with me at my side, and that gives me comfort. I know I'm in good hands with my doctor too. I guess I couldn't ask for more.

Wish me luck! A profile shot of GT for you:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home