She's Crafty
I have some overwhelming urge to start being crafty. Start making things instead of buying them. Maybe along the way I'll actually save some money. Of course, if we start incorporating the Cuss Jar at our house, I'll probably even out.
I get these urges every once in a while. I try to follow through with them, but most of the time, they end up being a good plan without a good planner.
So now that I am soon to be a mother, the crafty-ness of me is starting to peek through. And I guess this will last a lot longer, since now I'm making items for my son instead of myself.
There is some underlying importance embedded in making something for your children. You want to make things perfectly and beautifully. Something that they can be proud of showing to their friends, with the idea that the friends will go running to their mothers asking for the same thing. "GT's mom made him one, why can't you?"
Of course this can come back and bite me in the butt, when MY son is the one asking for a super cool something or other that Johnny's mom made. So then I'm the one staying up until 1am working on some ridiculous craft/cake/food item/birthday party favor making sure it's just perfect.
Ugh. I don't know if I'm ready for this.
In any case, I'm starting out small. I've gotten wooden letters and am going to paint them and hang them in GT's room. I'm adding some airplanes and other decor to them to go with his nursery theme. What would have cost me $30 (without the airplanes) at Pottery Barn Kids is probably going to run me $10 at Joann's Fabrics.
I have to stay away from that PBK catalog. It's going to drive me to drink. Okay, drink more. (No, I'm not drinking alcohol so back off.)
I just bought the letters yesterday. I haven't started yet. I'll let you know how much money in cuss words I rack up. Good thing this jar isn't starting until May. I'd already be broke.
And Happy Last Day of Second Trimester to me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home