Sunday, December 10, 2006

Keep Your Hands & Feet Inside the Car at All Times

Had my Cerclage today (Sunday). And you know what, it wasn't that bad. And that's coming from the #1 Chicken in the World.

Checked into the hospital this morning at 8:30am. Took me to Triage (aka "Cattle Call") and changed into a lovely hospital gown and waited to be prepped. Thank goodness it was warm in there. Those gowns are thin.

Then I waited. That is the worst. I knew I would have to get an IV and a possible shot in my spine. That scared the crap out of me. Forget the actual surgery, I'm scared of what I'm going to be AWAKE for. But luckily, I had my Petey next to me during most of the bad parts.

So after they got mine & GT's vitals, I got the IV. It felt just as bad as getting blood drawn, which to me isn't terrible. Yes, the tube is continually in your body, but if you don't think about it (which I did eventually) then you don't know it's there. One thing is that they didn't go in the TOP of my hand, more like in the area of my wrist below my thumb. More fat to cushion the blow I guess.

More waiting...

The anesthesiologist came in and told me about the different anesthesias that I could choose from. I chose the general anesthesic at first through the IV, but then my OB/GYN said that GT would take some of that in, so I opted for the shot in the spine. This is something I will remember when he is 15 years old and being a pain in the butt. "I took a shot in the spine for you, young man!!!"

More waiting...

Around 10am, they came to get me and take me to the OR. Petey couldn't come with me so he said his goodbye and gave me a kiss. I wasn't scared then, I don't know why. I just had a feeling of "Well, I have to do it, so might as well make the best of it."

I walked with my "little purse" (IV) into the OR and got on the table. It felt very Nip/Tuck-ish. The two big lamps were above me and two tables at my side for my arms. Many nurses and my OB were walking around preparing for the surgery. One of the nurses was watching through a window in another room. Unfortunately, Dr. Christian Troy was nowhere to be found. Damn.

The anesthesiologist gave me something to relax before my shot. I felt drunk and the room was spinning, but I was still coherent and talking my head off.

Shot time. I had to slouch and arch my back and put my head on my chest. He washed my back with iodine and then put a warm goo on a part of my spine. I felt a tiny prick that didn't really feel good, but didn't really hurt. After that I felt like I was having a muscle spasm in my left thigh. Or that I needed to move my thigh, but couldn't. It's like my brain was saying something but my body wasn't doing anything.

Then I felt pressure on parts of my spine, which again, hurt but wasn't excruciating pain. He said "Well, I'm hitting too much bone down here, so I'm going to try a little higher." I said "Uh, okay." Then again with the warm goo and a prick in my back. I could tell that he didn't hit my spine the second time and he said "Okay, we're in now." I told him he should mark the spot for when I have the baby and he should be around the hospital on April 25th. I also asked for his business card, but I think that was the drugs talking.

That minute, I started to not feel my legs anymore. They hoisted my legs in these weird stirrups and I continued to move my toes. The nurse asked me if I could move my toes and I said "No, not really, I just think I'm moving them because I'm nervous." I touched my calf and sure enough, no feeling whatsoever. Just like two slabs of meat attached to my body. Strange.

I also think the happy juice earlier relieved me of any "modesty" I might have had beforehand.

I then asked the anesthesiologist if he was going to knock me out, because I didn't want to be awake for the surgery. I guess I caught him by surprise, but I started to see that they were starting and I really didn't want to be awake. So then he said "Okay, this should put you out" and then BLACK.

Actually, I don't remember black. I don't remember anything except waking up and asking the doctor how it went. She said it went good. And I said good. Or at least I think I said good. I don't really remember that, the doctor had to remind me when I asked her again. "Don't you remember asking me this earlier?", "Uhh, no, I guess not."

Then I was wheeled to the recovery room where my family was. It was 11am. 30 minutes after I went into the OR. I think they were happy to see me alert (well, somewhat alert). The nurse took GT's vitals and his heartbeat was fine. I was fine.

More waiting...

I remember that I couldn't really concentrate on anything. We turned on the TV, but I couldn't watch it. Petey and I just talked a lot and I told him about the procedure. The nurse would check in on us every 20 minutes or so.

About 1pm, I thought I had to go to the bathroom. I told the nurse I wanted to try to go. So she was on one side and Petey on the other when they helped me to the potty. Again, drunk legs were wobbling to the potty. They sat down and then stared at me. It was strange, peeing for an audience. My parts were still numb so I had to push it out. And they measured the output. I guess I did good.

More waiting...

The trainee nurse came in and took out my IV, which hurt big time. I don't know if it was the pain of the tape being torn off of my arm hair, or the tube out of my body, but I honestly have to say, that hurt the most. Reminder to shave my arms next time.

I continued to move my legs to get the numbness to wear off. I was getting anxious and wanted to leave. Finally about 2:15pm, they sent me home with discharge papers and instructions. They wheeled me to the car and I was in the car about 2:30pm. Still dazed but okay.

Once all the drugs wore off, my lower back hurt big time. This is from the needle hitting my spine a few times during the shot. It still hurts today (Monday) but I'm okay.

I took a nap for about an hour Sunday night and felt much better. Today I'm back at work and feel fine.

Sunday was a daze and I'm glad it's over.

I think the worst part of it all is the waiting. Waiting for the IV, waiting to go to the OR, waiting for the spinal shot. It's all the hoopla beforehand that can drive you crazy.

Just like a roller coaster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home